Can H1B and F1 Visa holders earn money online?

Posted on May 15, 2009. Filed under: F1 Visa, H1B, Jobs, Prospective Students | Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , |

H1B people, its little harsh but you got to understand this point that you are Resident Alien (Immigrant) at this point and can only work for your employer and if there is any other source of Income(online earnings) its considered as Illegal earnings. So basically, if you are on a H1-B visa, you are authorized to work for only one those employers that sponsor your visa. You cannot be self-employed and earn additional income and doing so will render you out-of-status. (more…)

Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( 15 so far )

Do you know how much USCIS is earning from H1B petitions every year?

Posted on May 2, 2009. Filed under: H1B | Tags: , , , , , , , |

Do you know how much USCIS is earning from H1B petitions every year?

It is way more than $ 173,000,000 (173 Million Dollars) – It can be more than this number.

Let’s see how this numbers got to $173 Million dollars (more…)

Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( None so far )

25 highest paid H1B Occupations

Posted on April 21, 2009. Filed under: H1B | Tags: , , , , , , |


I know many of you might already know these small details, but just thought this might interest you.


The below data is for year 2005; for the recent status, you might want to add some 5% to the below mentioned salary. Seriously there is no big change in the salaries compared to 2005: D (more…)

Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( 1 so far )

Fact of the day

Posted on April 18, 2009. Filed under: H1B | Tags: , , , , , |

In spite of the requirement that H-1B workers be paid the prevailing wage, H-1B workers earn significantly less than their American counterparts. On average, applications for H-1B workers in computer occupations were for wages $13,000 less than Americans in the same occupation and state. (more…)

Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( None so far )

How to Apply for Tourist Visa to Canada for H1B Visa holders in United States

Posted on April 18, 2009. Filed under: H1B | Tags: , , , , , , |

Planning to apply for tourist visa to Canada. Here are some of the steps that might be helpful to you.  


Step 1:  Fill in IMM 5257 Form ( ) and print it.


Step 2: Take 2 passport photos with Canadian standards (35 mm x 45 mm (1 3/8″ x 1 3/4″))


Step 3: Prepare to send photo copies of your current offer letter, proof of employment, Original H1B approval (I-797), last 3 pay checks, drivers License, Itinerary (if you have), hotel confirmation (if you have).


Step 4: Be prepared to send original Passport unless you prefer to go in person. You can walk in person if you want to finish this process in a day to your nearest consulate.


Step 5: Bank Statements showing some funds to support your travel.


Step 6: The fee per person is $65 USD for a single entry visa, $130 USD for a multiple entry visa or $340 USD for a family (multiple or single entry). You must pay a processing fee when you submit an application for a temporary resident visa. Fee can be paid in US dollar, payable to CANADIAN CONSULATE GENERAL via Cashier check, Bank Draft, Money Order, EXACT CASH (if paying in person — 8:00 to 10:00 a.m. ONLY). If paying in Canadian funds, make payable to: RECEIVER GENERAL FOR CANADA.


For more accurate information on fee structure visit


Step 7: Send application package (all the above documents with your passport, fee) to your nearest Canadian Consulate. For more details please visit:


For complete package, please visit this website:



Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( 5 so far )

Rumor Busters – First time H1B Visa stamping in Canada from other visa status (F1, L1, and H4)?

Posted on April 16, 2009. Filed under: H1B | Tags: , , , , , |

We have been hearing about H1B Visa applicants (from F1, L1, H4 etc Visas) being routed to their home country when they go for their first time H1B stamping in Canada.


Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( 5 so far )

Step by Step Procedure to get H1B Visa Stamping in Canada – Vancouver

Posted on April 16, 2009. Filed under: H1B | Tags: , , , , , , |

ALERT: All consular posts must electronically confirm all Non-Immigrant Visa petitions prior to visa issuance.

This will affect applicants for H, L, O and P visas. This process may take additional 2 to 3 workdays, creating a minimum 4 workday turnaround for such applicants. This confirmation is beyond our control and cannot be waived. Any petition-based, otherwise-


Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( 7 so far )

Latest H1B Fee Structure by USCIS

Posted on April 16, 2009. Filed under: H1B | Tags: , , , , , , |

We keep hearing about various H1B fees structures from our employers, the below is the factual (actual) rates what they pay for USCIS.   

In some cases they hire Attorney for this paperwork but majority of companies’ process their own H1B applications.  

Now you know how much your employer will be paying for your H1B.  They can’t bluff you anymore. :D


Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( 1 so far )

H1B -> H4 -> H1B

Posted on April 15, 2009. Filed under: H1B | Tags: , , , , |

Question: H1B Visa holder -> No job -> changed to H4 Visa -> Got Job -> Now Can I start working with my old H1B?

 Answer:  Yes, it would be possible for you to switch back to H-1B if you can find a job. Your employer would have to file a new petition on your behalf in order to change your status from H-4 back to H-1B.

But no need to worry about the H1B quota though, your petition is considered as old petition and will be approved with out any quota issues. But the catch here is, you will have to wait until you get your approval notice from USCIS., you cant work just with receipt unlike other H1B active petition holders where they can start working with their receipts during the application process.

 Even if you are going to work on same old petition, your employer have still send it as new application to USCIS and get an approval. This process is same even if you apply through a different employer.

 Best suggestion would be to apply under Premium processing where you can get your approval within a week or 10 day period and happily start working. Usually we get start dates for our jobs after a week or 10 day.


Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( None so far )

About to Finish Master’s, but planning to apply for H1B???

Posted on April 14, 2009. Filed under: F1 Visa, H1B | Tags: , , , , |

Q) I am currently pursuing my Masters this year and would be completing it by end of this year( i.e 2009)?? I do plan to apply for my H1B this year. My question is will I be considered in Master’s quota?? One of my friends suggested me that I could apply with a letter from University stating about my completion of masters by end of this year. Will this work??


My Answer: Unless you have a degree in hand or at least the completion certificate,  you really can’t be eligible under Masters Quota. However, you can always apply under regular quota with whatever master’s documents you have, and get an approval. USCIS may ask for OPT card or some confirmation on your degree completion before they approve your H1B under regular quota. During my time, I applied in my last semester and still got H1B approved with out any query. Can you believe it????


I really suggest you to go ahead and apply for your H1b right away and get an approval.  I am sure you can get one soon. Try sending all your Masters till date transcripts with a  letter from school stating your latest status on how many subjects are left towards your Masters completion.


Hope this helps.


Good Luck!!

Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( 2 so far )

« Previous Entries


    Information from F1 to H1 (GRE,GMAT, TOEFL,Universities, College Life,Jobs, and tons of facts, rumors, etc)


    Subscribe Via RSS

    • Subscribe with Bloglines
    • Add your feed to Newsburst from CNET
    • Subscribe in Google Reader
    • Add to My Yahoo!
    • Subscribe in NewsGator Online
    • The latest comments to all posts in RSS


Liked it here?
Why not try sites on the blogroll...